Home Household machines How to prevent appliance fires

How to prevent appliance fires

0

Most homes have a multitude of electrical appliances ranging from small kitchen items like toasters and microwaves to large appliances like clothes dryers and dishwashers.

According to wikihow.com, while appliances make our lives easier, they also pose significant risks, including fire, if not maintained properly.

Appliance fire safety is all about keeping your appliances in good working order and using them for their intended purpose. The average homeowner invests a lot of money in appliances.

To protect your investment and avoid the potential risk of fire, find out what to check to make sure your appliances aren’t putting you or your family at risk.

Appliance Safety Guide

Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional.

Do not operate the dryer without the lint filter. Clean the lint filter before or after each use. Remove the lint accumulated around the drum.

Rigid or flexible metal venting materials should be used to maintain proper airflow and drying time.

Make sure that the exhaust air duct is not blocked and that the exterior exhaust flap will open when the dryer is running.

Once a year, or more often if you notice that your clothes are taking longer than normal to dry, clean the lint from the vent pipe or have a dryer lint removal service do it for you.

Keep dryers in good working order. Gas dryers should be inspected by a professional to ensure that the gas line and connection are intact and free of leaks.

Make sure the correct plug and socket are used and the machine is properly connected.

Don’t leave a dryer on if you leave the house or go to bed.

Never dry items that have been in contact with flammable substances, such as cooking oil, gasoline, paint thinner or alcohol.

Keep the dryer area clear of objects that can burn, such as boxes or clothing.

Avoid overloading a washing machine

Washing machines must be properly grounded.

Make sure the correct plug and socket are used and the machine is properly connected.

When it comes to appliance safety, one of the most commonly used and misused items is the extension cord.

Do not overload extension cords. If the cord is abnormally hot to the touch, discontinue use and verify that appliances plugged into it do not draw more amperage than the cord is designed to carry. Consider a heavy-duty extension cord intended specifically for large appliances, if available.

Regularly check your extension cords to make sure the plastic isn’t worn or coming loose at the ends. Replace or repair loose or frayed cords.

Avoid using an extension cord as permanent wiring. Consider having a qualified electrician add additional circuits or outlets so you don’t have to use extension cords.

Instead of a simple extension cord, get a lab-tested extension cord with built-in circuit breakers. These will turn off if overloaded.

Avoid routing extension cords through doorways or under rugs.

The most common household accidents occur when using the family oven or stove. To reduce this risk:

Keep burners, stovetop and oven clean and free of grease and other flammable debris.

Never leave flammable objects such as heating pads or towels near the burners.

Do not leave food cooking unattended

Never spray aerosols near a flame.

Always turn pan handles inward to avoid knocking a pan off the heat.

Never wear loose, long-sleeved clothing while cooking.

Periodically inspect electrical cords and gas connections for wear and damage.

Never operate an appliance with a door that is bent, deformed, or otherwise damaged in a way that prevents it from closing properly.

Do not stand directly in front of the microwave oven when it is operating.

Avoid overheating liquids; they can overheat and burst, causing severe burns.

Never operate an empty oven.

Keep the oven interior, door and all gaskets clean and free of debris.

Never use metal pans and utensils in the appliance as arcing will occur.

Periodically check for microwave leaks with an FDA-approved tester.

Immediately repair appliances or lights that crackle or spark or electrocute you when in use.

Keep appliances away from wet areas, especially in kitchens, bathrooms, basements and garages.

If an appliance has a three-prong plug, never force it into a two-prong outlet or extension cord. Also beware of torn/heavily damaged extension cords.

Regularly check your wiring. Look for outlets that don’t work, light switches that feel hot to the touch, and flickering lights. It could mean that something is wrong and needs to be checked by an electrician.

Keep clothing, curtains, and other potentially combustible items at least three feet from all heating appliances.

#Carry

Must have fire prevention devices

A circuit breaker is an automatically controlled electrical switch designed to protect an electrical circuit from damage caused by overcurrent/overload or short circuit. Its basic function is to interrupt the flow of current after the protection relays have detected a fault.

Whenever there is too much current in a building’s electrical wiring, these simple machines shut off the power until someone can fix the problem. Without circuit breakers (or the alternative, fuses), household electricity would be impractical due to the potential for fires and other damage from simple wiring problems and equipment failures.

  • Voltage Regulator Stabilizer

Voltage regulators protect expensive electronics, appliances, tools and other electrical equipment from damage. In addition to converting power from 110 volts and 220 volts and vice versa, these power strip units also regulate output voltage to protect your expensive electronics and appliances from damage due to power surges and power spikes or drops. Of voltage.

The voltage regulator is necessary to keep the voltage level constant within the prescribed range for which the electrical equipment is rated. 110 Volt – 220/240 Volt Automatic Voltage Regulator Stabilizers come with a built-in step-up and step-down voltage converter transformer.

Warning! Do not buy a stabilizer if it is not a voltage regulator.

A smoke detector has a way of notifying the household that there is a fire nearby.

The detector should be screwed to the ceiling because that’s where the smoke goes when something starts to burn. Fire generates hot gases and because they are less dense (thinner or weigh less per unit volume) than ordinary air, they rise upwards, also swirling tiny smoke particles.


All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without the prior express written permission of PUNCH.

Copyright PUNCH.

All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without the prior express written permission of PUNCH.

Contact: [email protected]