ALLENTOWN, PA — We all know that radiators, crock pots, and other small appliances that generate a lot of heat need to be watched while in use, but large appliances can catch fire too.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Organization of the United States, stoves, clothes dryers and microwaves are the three appliances most at risk. Also on the list are refrigerators, toasters, dishwashers and washing machines.
Allentown Fire Department Capt. John Christopher says he’s seen it all, but there are some things you can do to prevent fires.
As for fridges, “Behind your fridge, the coils – once in a while they need to be cleaned, and a great thing is to have them a good distance from the wall so air can circulate,” said Christopher.
It also says you should check your lint trap often. This is the most common cause of fire in a clothes dryer.
Plus, there are some appliances that you shouldn’t just turn on and leave completely unattended, like a clothes dryer or dishwasher.
“A dishwasher is also a heat source, and those kinds of things, when you leave the house, you obviously shouldn’t be running them,” Christopher said.
Also, don’t throw them when you go to bed. He also says that major appliances should never be plugged into a power strip. He says you should unplug what you can, like toasters when not in use.
If a fire breaks out, Christopher says to call 911 immediately before you even try to put it out.
“Anything can happen,” he said. “The fire is growing at an exponential rate, maybe the extinguisher didn’t work. In that case, at least we’re already responding, we’re on our way.”