Home Household machines 4 household items you didn’t know were fire hazards – Royal Examiner

4 household items you didn’t know were fire hazards – Royal Examiner

0

Home fires affect thousands of families each year. Therefore, eliminating potential hazards in your home is essential to keep you and your family safe. This year, Fire Prevention Week takes place from October 9 to 15 and is the perfect opportunity to brush up on your knowledge of fire safety. Here are four things in your home that you might not know were flammable.

1. Oranges contain a natural, flammable chemical called limonene. This substance is present in many cleaning products because it has a fresh scent and powerful degreasing properties. Therefore, you should avoid spraying limonene-based cleaners near sources of fire such as your stove.

2. Hand sanitizer has become a household staple in recent years. However, it contains ethanol, which is a flammable ingredient. Although small amounts of hand sanitizer do not pose a fire hazard, it is important to store and use it safely to minimize risk.

3. Nail polish remover is made with flammable chemicals like acetone and nitrocellulose. Therefore, you should always wash your hands thoroughly after using nail polish remover. Make sure the container is tightly closed and stored in a cool, dry place when storing.

4. 9 volt batteries can start a fire. If these types of batteries come into contact with metal, they can spark and ignite. It is best to keep batteries in their original packaging or keep the tips covered with tape.

Fire safety starts with knowing the facts. Protect your family by learning about common hazards and taking steps to minimize them.

100 years of fire prevention
This year marks the centenary of Fire Prevention Week. A campaign teaching children and adults how to avoid fires and stay safe if they occur was first launched by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) in 1922.